The transformation of the electricity markets is the theme for issue 3/2020 of the Fingrid magazine
Fingrid customer magazine has been published. The theme of this issue is Electricity Markets in a State of Change. The theme article describes the Nordic Balancing Model, which is a wide-ranging, multi-year national and joint Nordic development program. The magazine is published in print and online in Finnish and English.
The Fingrid magazine describes how the Nordic Balancing Model program will have a dramatic effect on every electricity market party. The first tangible change to occur as an outcome of the project will be the single balance model, which will be introduced in one year’s time. The change will affect balance responsible parties who balance out their customers’ electricity balances.
The transition to a 15-minute imbalance settlement period will be the biggest change to affect electricity market parties. The 15-minute imbalance settlement period will steer market parties to support the power system in 15-minute periods instead of the current one-hour periods, and this change will require process automation and ICT modernisation. The Nordic electricity markets and transmission system operators are currently expected to transition to the 15-minute imbalance settlement period in spring 2023.
The magazine also describes how the Nordic Balancing Model is transforming the activities of Fingrid’s main grid control centre.
Some of the other articles in issue 3/2020 of the Fingrid magazine:
- Asta Sihvonen-Punkka’s leader: Markets enable transformation
- Electricity market experts put to the test. Questions answered by Petteri Haveri from Finnish Energy, Marja Kaitaniemi from Neoen Renewables, Pasi Kuokkanen from ELFI and Esa Ukkonen from Stora Enso.
- Maria Joki-Pesola’s column: Nordic cooperation - excitement, plot-twists and, ultimately, three cheers!
- Fossil-free steel is on the horizon. An interview with Harri Leppänen from SSAB and Petri Parviainen from Fingrid
- Power-to-X solutions for energy storage. An interview with Janne Kärki from VTT and Tuomas Rauhala and Risto Kuusi from Fingrid
The articles in the magazine will also be published in Fingrid’s online magazine in the autumn.
Marjut Määttänen, Fingrid, Communications, marjut.maattanen[at]fingrid.fi