Business practices in accordance with corporate responsibility are Fingrid’s strategic choice. Responsibility is one of our values. We take care of people, the environmental impact of our operations and good governance while securing a reliable supply of electricity for Finns and enabling the achievement of climate goals. In our business, we particularly promote the UN’s global Sustainable Development Goals (SNGs) related to climate action, energy and infrastructure.
The starting point for our corporate responsibility work is Fingrid’s strategy, in which responsibility is included as an integrated and company-level strategic choice. Management of compliance and corporate responsibility is integrated into Fingrid’s management system and risk management.
Fingrid’s Board of Directors approves the company’s Code of Conduct and monitors the responsibility of operations. The Board of Directors is also responsible for the organisation and integration of corporate responsibility management into business operations. The CEO and heads of operations are responsible for compliance management and the implementation of corporate responsibility in their respective areas of responsibility.
We have identified the issues relevant to Fingrid’s business and corporate responsibility, see Annual Report: materiality assessment. We use this to ensure adequate management practices, targets and indicators, see Annual Report: Fingrid’s strategic targets and indicators.
We are involved in promoting global responsibility objectives. For our part, we especially promote goals related to energy, infrastructure and climate action of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
We have defined the linking of Fingrid’s operations to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals published in 2015. Of the 17 goals, we promote especially the following:
- Affordable and clean energy.We secure a reliable supply of electricity and affordable transmission pricing in the main grid for society. Society’s demand for disturbance-free electricity is growing and serious disturbances in the electricity supply are one of the greatest security threats. Our investment programme improves the reliability of electricity transmission. We also secure a functioning electricity market and are a pioneer in electricity market services.
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure.We maintain and develop an important electricity transmission infrastructure for the needs of customers and society. The extensive investments of our main grid development programme provide several hundred person-years of employment for our service providers. We are active in international cooperation and innovation activities for when future technologies are developed in this field.
- Climate action.The change in the production structure of electricity resulting from the fight against climate change will cause changes in the electricity system. We enable the integration of new energy production into the main grid. We will also ensure the adequacy of system reserves in the future and prepare for a reduction in flexible production capacity while developing the electricity market for the needs of a climate-neutral electricity system. We minimise the energy losses, which have a negative impact on the climate, in our electricity transmission.
Our business also supports these UN Sustainable Development Goals:
- Gender equality.We treat everyone with respect and fairness in accordance with Fingrid’s Code of Conduct and ensure a level playing field between the sexes.
- Decent work and economic growth.We contribute to technology renewal and innovation as well as resource efficiency. We want to be one of the best workplaces in Finland with a healthy work community as our mainstay. We promote responsible business practices throughout our supply chain.
- Responsible consumption and production.We ensure sustainable consumption and practices in our own operations and strive to serve as an example to others. In our power line projects, we primarily use existing power line corridors. We recycle almost 100% of the waste from our sites.
- Life on land. We want to reduce the adverse effects of our power line projects on biodiversity, landscape and land use. We commit our service providers and suppliers to environmentally responsible practices.
- Partnerships for the goals. As a transmission system operator, our operations affect many stakeholders and interaction for the benefit of customers and society is important. We combine our core competencies with the best operators and promote sustainable development and responsible practices globally through our procurement. We operate in international cooperation networks and engage in industry cooperation, research and development activities and cooperation with educational institutions. We promote partnerships between the public and private sectors. Fingrid is part of the smart grid working group of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment. Its mission is to explore the potential of smart grids for the electricity market.